Social Media Week for me is still on, after all you are here reading this post. Perhaps the most anticipated event in the tech space, for 2013, even though it is still February. I loved every bit of the 5 day period, that featured over 100 events from music, sports, e-commerce, fashion, governance, tech, banking, and more. There are lots of photos to show these but below are my top 5 most memorable SMW Lagos moments:
- Interview with Eskimi and iROKING I was full of excitement when I got the mail to moderate the ‘Music for Masses‘ session, and it was even more fun to get talking with Vytas of Eskimi and Michael Ugwu of iROKING. [Photo L-R, Vytas, Me – Nubi Kay’, and Michael]
- Worlds Colliding! Meeting with Chika Uwazie (Co-Founder, DECODED) After a couple of years of Facebook and Twitter connect, I finally met with Chika Uwazie, and we got talking of her new startup – Decoded, an online service dedicated to African lyrics. It’s definitely a great feeling translating online connections via social media to offline meets.
- #BloggerLove – Social Media Week Bloggers Rock! I love working in teams especially when there are virtual, and that was the story with joining the official blogger team. It also felt extra special as I was the only dude on the team. It was great working with the team, even though some could not make it, all the way from Brookyln, I got to meet with Patrice.
- Influencing The Use of Social Media – Bez, Ebuka, Chude
This was perhaps my best event for the week, excluding those I got to organize or moderate. This time around, I was in the audience and it was awesome watching Bez, Ebuka, Tolu Ogunlesi, Chude, and many more discuss passionately the role social media plays in the life of the Nigerian youth and the concept of ‘change’. I also took the time out to ask some participants techy questions, like what social apps are most valuable to them, and I got very interesting feedbacks on the various social networks out there.
- Made the Top 10 SMWLagos Influencer Synthesio List You can call this icing on the cake, as I didn’t see this coming. Synthesio listened in on SMW 13, including SMW Lagos, and voila, I – @NubiKay made the list of Top 10 influencers, same as @OTEKBITS, and of course @SpeakPatrice. You can more details here.
Word is out that SMW Lagos will be back in 2014, and I am looking forward to it already. Till then, keep being social – offline and online.